Education, Health and Care Plans (EHC Plans)

Can I request a particular school?

The law says that parents or the young person has a right to request that a particular school, college or other institution is named in the EHC plan. The Local Authority must agree to this request unless:

  • it would be unsuitable for the age, ability, aptitude or SEN of the child or young person, or
  • the attendance of the child or young person there would be incompatible with the efficient education of others, or the efficient use of resources

You can find out more about your rights to request a particular school or college in the SEND Code of Practice sections 9.78 to 9.90.

How will I be involved?

The SEND Code of Practice says:

Local authorities must consult the child and the child's parent or the young person throughout the process of assessment and production of an EHC plan. (9.21)


Reviews must be undertaken in partnership with the child and their parent or the young person, and must take account of their views, wishes and feelings, including their right to request a Personal Budget. (9.168)

Your views, and your child’s views, are really important. The local authority, school or college should help you take part and involve you in decision making. If you would like help to do this please contact Rotherham Send Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) for impartial advice and support. We can also give you information on other sources of help, and on what to do if you do not feel that you have been heard or listened to.